ImageChef Custom Images

'Cause sometimes I even surprise the knit out of myself.

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Believe it or not, I've had progress on all sorts of things...

As you all know I've been struggling with my knitting/spinning mojo that took an extended vacation without me. I've lost interest in all my pending projects. So what happens next? Vogue Knitting lands on my desk and the most unlikely item catches my attention, the front cover, Bontanica Medallion Cardigan by Shiri Mor. Figuring this is a good way to use up the 100% cotton lying destitute in my stash for the last 4 years, I picked up my needles and gave the medallion a whirl. (BTW, this is a better picture of the true color than the next one).
Two days later and voila! That's great right? Well not so much. You should see what the 100% cotton has done to the pads of my fingers. I may not have any skin left by the time this is done. So the question remains, is cotton just that rough that this happens to me every time? Am I allergic to it? Can't be, I wear cotton all the time, except I don't KNIT with it all the time. I'm plugging away at the peplum now, but having to take mandatory breaks to knit with my other wool UFOs so my fingers stop peeling. I am determined to knit and purge all of the cotton out of my stash now. Why not sell it? Well honestly, some of it is too pretty and I am rather fond of it. Onward!

I've been doing a little baking too. I think it's more or less, to ease the tensions going on at work. Lay-offs this week and next. As a manager, there's no telling how this will impact me as either the one cut or the one having to cut. Either way, I'm not at all happy about it. The morale is so in the toilet. Chocolate always dulls the pain for a moment. Chocolate bunt cake with strawberries. YUM! The Hubs loved it.

I also got a very nice surprise by the best SIL ever, KubusKrafts. An early birthday present to see Fleetwood Mac (Stevie is my favorite performer). What an awesome show, abet the two drunk Stevie wannabes behind us who talked (not their inside concert voice, mind you) the ENTIRE show and tipped some of their beer on us. It took every bit of self-control not to turnaround and rattle their cages...wasn't worth ruining my time or trying to rationalize ill-mannered behavior with a drunk and her drunk, slutty daughter. Nuff said. The concert was fantastic. I swear none of them have aged in the last 10 years. Stevie looked the best I've ever seen her and the special treat for me was that she brought out the "Go Your Own Way" top hat with the ribbons on the back. In all my years of loving them dearly, it was cool to see that. She was in top form, as was Lindsey, Mick, and John. Sadly, I confirmed that I still do not miss Christine at all. They seem to have so much more fun on stage without her. Curious, no?
Last weekend I had a fibery goodness gathering at Zarzuela's place. Spinning outside....in the sun...with a cool beverage...and sweets to snack on...Bliss.
And on my wheel, I'm still spinning the Corriedale batt I bought from her months ago now. Yes, those are actually my feet on my wheel and I'm spinning for the first time in months!

That day actually produced an FO, finished handspun. 2 ply corriedale that is about medium fingering. I am not sure what to knit with it, but the colors are cheerful so it should be a fun project.

Oh and also at the gathering, I finally met YarnyOldKim's companion, Stella. Can I tell you how hard I fell for this little girl? What a great, easy-going personality. How could you not fall in love with a furry face like this?
After the corrie came off the wheel, I joined a FreckleFace Fibers spin-a-long. Hello, I'm one of the moderators of this Ravelry group so I had been own up! On the wheel, went the Merino 64 in Verita. I have to say this is the finest single I've ever spun. I may actually be able to ply and get my first laceweight! JOY!

This weekend, I've been a busy, busy girl, partly to not think about the lay-offs coming on Monday and partly b/c this bed had gotten out of control which made me crazy. On Friday night, I realized Lowe's was having a sale on the bricks I wanted, so we gathered ourselves and ran out the door at 8PM on Friday. The price was right at $0.88! Last year, I spent $2.64 /each. I got away dirt cheap this time. Saturday I spent putting the bricks in and tidying up my neglected perennial bed. I added a few more plants and have some more filling to do, but it looks much more presentable on the driveway side now. I have some things still peaking through the mulch from last year. In total we have Butterfly Bush, Columbines, Tiger Lillies, Calla Lillies, red and yellow Yarrow, Carolina Bluebells, English Lavender, Russian Sage, and surprisingly, white Petunias, which must have re-seeded themselves because they are annuals.

Here's a super-macro shot of my Calla. Isn't it gorgeous? Well, I need to mentally prepare for tomorrow's festivities (not!) so I'm going to go try to work on some UFOs and enjoy the warmth on the back deck.

Next weekend? MARYLAND SHEEP AND WOOL and a 4-day vacation to Lake Nockamixon!!!!! WOOT!

7 Comments:

At 9:14 PM, Blogger Thea said...

hi stranger -- have fun in Md. can't wait to see how the medallion turns out - the color looks great - hope it gets your mojo going again!

 
At 11:20 PM, Anonymous robin said...

So many things to comment on!!

1.) love the hat!! Unfortunately, I feel the same way about knitting with 100% cotton - it rips my hands up and makes them ache. BLEAH.

2. Work drama - I feel your pain. Mine resolved itself as I had some of my own going on last week - I'll keep my fingers crossed. It's helpful (for me at least) to remember that I am not my job and that ultimately I will be OK whatever happens.

3. What a cute doggie!! I'm more of a cat person but I can appreciate how cute and sweet she looks. What a face!

4. How cool on the outdoor spinning! I never thought of being able to do it outside, but it makes sense!

5. Have a great time at MDS&W!!! One of these years I have to go to that. Just got back from Stitches South and it was fab-u-lous!

 
At 4:11 AM, Blogger R a i n said...

You're knitting again! That's just awesome.

Ahem...that bundt cake...is.tempting.me.......

 
At 7:13 AM, Blogger Nic said...

Geez. It's Monday in Ireland already, so I'm wondering how things will go for ya. Best of luck with your day!

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger Kim said...

The medalion thingy is fancy fancy! I like it a lot. Sednign serene vibes to get through whatever happens at work this week.
Stella enjoyed meeting you too.
Hope to see you at MDSW!

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger Bhavna said...

Hi,

I found your blog from Ravelry.

That hat is beautiful!

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger Writer Artist said...

What a lovely garden! Great hand spun,too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home