ImageChef Custom Images

'Cause sometimes I even surprise the knit out of myself.

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Ireland cont'd: The Infamous Sunday Session

So after we reacquainted ourselves with our friends in the pub, we settled in for a night of Guinness and chatting. The pub regulations have gotten quite strict since we were there last, although if you are locked in after midnight when the pub closes, it's a compliment that your company is being enjoyed. It's called a "lock-in". We had plenty of those previously and this night was no different. We got up a little later in the morning on Sunday than planned and came downstairs to a PACKED pub at 10:30 in the morning. It was a much younger crowd now which took us by surprise. We had coffee with our "Irish Dad" and decided to check out the old stomping grounds for the day.

We left the crowded pub and headed off to Spanish Point near the place we stayed last trip. If you read the previous post, it's the cute little green and white cottage. It was only a minute drive or so and we gingerly stepped out on to the beach. (take note of the green algae on the rocks below)

We barely recognized the cottage. It now had a large sunroom on the side facing the ocean.One minute, I'm taking a picture of Wendy and the next, reliving history.
Boom! Down I go in a split second. The only thing I hurt was my pride and my knee. I managed to save the camera and Coach bag. Hey, I have priorities, you know. Wendy wasn't so lucky in 2004, busting her camera and her shoulder. This stuff is incredibly slippery.


So the wet jeans and I head to the car with the heat on to dry off. We head toward the Cliffs of Moher. We had been there several times before and thought it might be nice for another visit. The tourist buses made a knot in our stomachs so we blew past and turned around. We just weren't in the mood for the other tourists. It had been built up and modernized since were were there last and it took away from the rugged terrain walking to the cliffs. Maybe next time.
Next we head off to a favorite store of ours, The Rock Shoppe. Shiny, sparkling stone, jewelry. A magpie's dream. I bought my mom a knotwork necklace and moved on.




We also stopped at another place I stopped last time, St. Bridget's Well.


We did a little shopping in Lahinch and returned to the pub to unload our bags and grab some dinner next door with our friend, Gerry. We had a little appetizer before dinner though. Mind you, the crowd IS still there 7 hours later.

If this is any indication on how this night is about to go, I don't know what is. Cathal plays a little trick on an unsuspecting friend. That's cold, man.
After dinner, we return with Gerry for more Guinness and to join the craic. We were invited to join a new group of faces and that's when the trouble started. "Dad" leaves and hands over the after-hours crowd to his son. The blinds are drawn, doors locked, juxbox is playing, pints abound...you see where I'm going with this right?For those of you who have not experienced the power of a pint, let our new friend show you stepwise.


Step 1: Know you are being photographed. Work the camera

Step 2: Discover you have a lovely pint of Guinness. Mmmmm that looks refreshing.
Step 3: Go in for the kill
Step 4: BRILLIANT!

My new friend and I having a lovely time.
Wendy and Michelle

Hanging out, listening to tunes
I will never figure out how he does that with his face. No. words.
There was singing. Oh yes, lots of singing.


"You raise me UP so I can climb the mountains......" (Westlife)


For all I know this could have been Amy Whinehouse "Rehab". Lots and lots of singing.
And there was lots of dancing....."no woman no cry......."What'll you have?
Then there was a little tormenting of the birthday boy. How many people does it take to pick him up? Uhhhh more than we thought.



More assorted silliness. Why is it I can never get a "normal" picture with my friend here?

Slainte. One of my favorite pictures. Cheers to old friends.....
...and new memories.
That was some great craic.

Before you know it, the sun comes up. That, my friends, was a "session".

2 Comments:

At 6:40 AM, Blogger Bea said...

Fun!

 
At 8:08 AM, Blogger The Kelly Green Rogue said...

what a great time!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home