ImageChef Custom Images

'Cause sometimes I even surprise the knit out of myself.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The Auburn Identity

So redheads grow up with the idea that because of a good majority of us have a fair complexion and on occasion freckles or rosy cheeks, we are limited to the colors that we can wear. It was always like a cardinal sin to wear....YELLOW. Now mind you, I realize yellow is a tough color with skin tones, especially for those with a fair amount of yellow pigment in their skin, but I am slowly discovering that I don't need to limit myself of color. I can adjust by shades, lights, darks, and style to be more wearable to my coloring.

Case in point, I just learned 2 months ago, by prodding of a few friends on a impulse shopping trip in Iowa, that I can actually wear red. I passionately avoided reds like the plague since I can remember. I know I can get away with a purple-burgundy color, but not bright, my name is Marilyn, deep lipstick red. Guess what? I surprised myself by purchasing a lovely red pea coat (because I am a pea coat whore, but that's another post) with large black buttons.

So enter the color yellow. The color of the solar plexus chakra....sign of the analytical mind, meaning joy, communication, color of summer....sunshine...cheerful. Why so often do we see the yellow colorway of a yarn, last to remain after pillaging at a yarn sale, sitting all alone in a bin amongst massive amounts of itself, unloved and unwanted?

Well rules smules folks. I'm breaking 'em. Here's an example. My newbie knitter self portrait here is a proud display of my Knitting Olympic Gold Medal Project. I went into my LYS one day and saw this soft, buttery Adrienne Vittadini Trina. Ohh for the love of cashmere, I'll pick any color. So home with me it went and became this:

But you don't come here for my philosophical verbal diarrhea do you? Of course not! I wouldn't. It's all about the Yarn Pr0n right? You betcha.

So if you visited over to Robin's blog recently, you will notice we had a little yarn swap. I bought an orange color that was a little brighter than I wanted and she dug it. It looks awesome with her coloring. So what was I attracted to in her swap bin?

Cascade Sierra in Lemon. I am eyeing up this project below for use of this skein of pure sunshine. It's called Sunshine by Lily Go.

Photo courtesy of Lily Go


Next on the list we have some lovely Queensland Kathmandu Tweed DK in a mustardy color.
For this....Katarina by the fabulous Julie Weisenberger www.cocoknits.comPhoto courtesy of www.cocoknits.com

So call me a redheaded rebel....a rule breaker...risk taker...maybe even colorblind...
I'm breaking all the redhead rules and livin' on the edge.

11 Comments:

At 6:48 AM, Blogger Bea said...

I think yellow is good for you! I've always thought that was a color redheads could get away with. I didn't realize it was on the "NO! don't ever wear that list!!" My sister and brother both have red hair, but neither has ever cared if they wore hair appropriate colors. I can wear the mustard color but not the brighter ones because of my skin tone.

 
At 8:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that yellow on you! Way to break the rules!

 
At 9:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That buttery yellow looks really nice on you! Stick it to the man!

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger Temperance said...

Congradulations! yellow and red! What courage :) Whats next? White shoes after Labot Day? I am slowly trying out yellows and reds but am still a bit of a coward.

 
At 1:29 PM, Blogger Jessica said...

I think you look great in the yellow! You go girl! :) Love the Lily sweater design too. Very cool.

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger betty said...

The yellow looks great. I used to think I could not wear certain colors, but it's not as simple as that. The actual shade of the color (with its proportion of reds/blues/greens/etc.) matters a lot. To me, the outdoor shot makes the yellow look like a greenish yellow, which might be why it looks good.

I really like that cocoknits.com sweater- thanks for the pointing out the site.

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger Robin said...

I never knew yellow was on the "verboten" list for redheads - I think it looks great on you! The Sierra will make a great Sunshine!

 
At 3:32 PM, Blogger The Kelly Green Rogue said...

that yellow does look good on you, but I just can't pull it off. I did start wearing some pinks and I can wear some reds. I think my skin tone is different than most redheads, I don't know.

oooooh, I love that tweed!

 
At 2:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You look gorgeous in your new sweater!
I love yellow...

 
At 7:02 AM, Blogger Nicole said...

Hello, I agree with everyone. You do look good in yellow. I love the Sunshine jersey. I think I would like to make that one day. But not in yellow, cause I look hideous in yellow.

 
At 11:35 PM, Blogger Happily Knit said...

I totally agree! I say you need to become liberated of your color "rules"! Break down barriers and turn heads--YEAH! I love all of the items you're eying up too, I've also got Sunshine waiting in the wings for her turn. It'll come eventually...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home