ImageChef Custom Images

'Cause sometimes I even surprise the knit out of myself.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

When stash acquisitions go horribly wrong

First I must state the irony of this post. We were just talking about this in Stitch n Bitch last week regarding an online yarn purchase that just isn't quite the color you pictured it to be.

So I am a lover of WEBS and their end of year sale. I also love supporting my LYS. I cannot resist yarn I wanted for a project in my queue on sale at a sickeningly cheap price. So what is the price I pay for this gluttony?

Enter Exhibit A: The brightest skein of Elsebeth Lavold Chunky Al in "poppy". I was looking for a burnt orangey/peachy color. I got bright Home Depot reddish-orange. I think I about popped an optic nerve when I opened the box. Trust me, this picture is not as bright as in real person. I think it actually looks ok seeing it on the blog, but man is this stuff bright.
I adore orange, but I think this might be a wee bright for my pale white arse and auburn hair, no? I wanted to make the Citrus Yoke Pullover out of it, but I'm not sure now.
A color that never goes wrong for me is GREEN. The greener the better. Now this one is an ace in the hole set for the Green Gable hoodie.
In other news, I took a little progress shot on the Hippy Chic Tunic. I can barely put it down. Ahhh, the healing capabilities of mindless stockinette. No matter what I do, I can't get a decent picture of the true colors, either with a lightbox or outside. I'll keep trying.
Toodles for now. I'm heading up to Teaneck, NJ tomorrow to train an associate. I am not looking forward to the drive during rush hour in the least bit. I wish I could auto-pilot and knit on my stockinette stitch up there. What a great 2 hour car ride that would be huh? *sigh* Unfortunately, there is no option for auto-pilot on the NJ Turnpike.

4 Comments:

At 9:34 PM, Blogger The Kelly Green Rogue said...

yep, my greatest fear about buying on line it the colro not being accurate. Which is why I stick with Green! As long as it's not pastel it almost always works. That sucks about the yarn. Maybe you can sell it or swap it?

Love, love, love that green! yum!

 
At 6:57 AM, Blogger Bea said...

I guess there is probably no train either huh? Bummer.

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger Robin said...

Hey, that Chunky AL doesn't look that bad! I know it's brighter than the picture, but I'm kinda liking it. How many skeins do you have? Wanna swap/sell it?

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger Jessica said...

*sigh* That is a problem with online shopping. As someone who tries very hard to get the colors to look right in my blog pics alone, I sympathize. There's always the "will sell or trade" tab in Ravelry at least! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home