ImageChef Custom Images

'Cause sometimes I even surprise the knit out of myself.

Saturday, February 02, 2008

Happy St. Bridget's Day!

It has been one crazy week. My goodness. I feel like I've been run down with a semi. Wow, you never know how much a work partner does until they are on vacation for the week.
Well, at least the entire day is not over yet and I can say Happy St. Bridget's Day (or Brigid), which I think is celebrated either yesterday or today in some accounts. Whether you are of the Christian or pagan persuasion, St. Bridget or Brid ..or Bride has been an adored guide and patron saint. It is said that she and the pagan Brid were one in the same and others say that it was part of the conversion from paganism to Christianity in Ireland. I have read all sorts of accounts and stories. Either way, I've always felt drawn to stories about her and again as she is present in both forms of religion, a highly regarded influence. I remember seeing shrines in Ireland in honor of her. There is one not to far away from where we stayed called St. Bridget's Well. People have claimed to be cured of ailments by coming in contact with the waters of the holy well. We got a tingling sensation as we entered the cavern and saw all of the crutches and slings left in her honor as they exit the well being cured of their afflictions.
Today was a beautiful day so far and Imbolc is celebrated today as a pagan sabbat. It is regarded in the wheel of the year of the Druids as the beginning of the end of the winter months and return of the sun.
It is said that herd animals are preparing to give birth to new young. The seeds of the plants to sow are blessed as well the tools that will sow them into the earth. It marks the center point of the dark half of the year. It is the festival of the Maiden, for from this day to March 21st, it is her season to prepare for growth and renewal. Bridget's snake emerges from the womb of the Earth Mother to test the weather, (the origin of Ground Hog Day), and in many places the first Crocus flowers began to spring forth from the frozen earth. I always find these traditions so interesting and timeless regardless of their religious affiliation. I am a very open and respectful person in this way and have even adopted traditions from other religious into my routines or family traditions.
I could use the return of the sun, couldn't you? Either way, I am looking forward to the blessed return of Spring as we had no "real" winter per say.

So I have some progress shots as I really have been knitting. I am almost done the fronts of the Urban Aran.....

and we are starting to see progress on the Hippy Chic Tunic. Back to knitting...TTFN!

5 Comments:

At 8:37 PM, Blogger Bea said...

I hadn't heard of St Brigid until today, even though I grew up Episcopal. Apparently I was not such a good sunday class student!

Your knitting is looking great!

 
At 10:39 PM, Blogger The Kelly Green Rogue said...

cool! thanks for sharing!

The Urban Aran is looking good !

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger Kasia said...

I love your pictures, that must be Ireland, isn't it? Your knitting looks stunning, can't wait to see it done and modeled!

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger Robin said...

Very interesting post! I always learn something on your blog. You're one of the few people I know who has traveled as much as Jim and I and have been a lot of places we haven't!

 
At 4:55 AM, Anonymous Bridget said...

Happy St.Bridget's Day from an Irish Bridget!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home