ImageChef Custom Images

'Cause sometimes I even surprise the knit out of myself.

Monday, July 07, 2008

Weekend Recap

It was tough going back to work today. I knew I was in for 10 shades of hell by 8 AM. At least I can say it was a fairly relaxing weekend. We had a few things we did and a few minor obligations, but all in all, nice. I got together with some fiber friends for another foray at Woolbearers and some lunch.
I picked up two new books I've had my eyes on, one by Kim Hargreaves and the other by Michelle Rose Orne. Kim's designs are so classy with the clean lines and patterning. It was her designs that first got me to look at Rowan Magazines when I began to dabble with knitting. My love for her designs has continued and I am happy she is still designing. I noticed a major void in the Rowan magazines after she left and prior to her announcement of her own company. I have my eye on quite a few of these. I'll try to get some pics later. The printer is skitzing out at the moment.




Following the February Lady Sweater finished this weekend, I turned my attention back to my neglected mystery shawl. I am so far behind on clues right now. I am finishing clue #3 and still have #4 to do by Saturday. In case you were wondering, I used Clue #1- C, Clue #2-B, and Clue #3- B, which #3 is currently in progress below.
I like how it's coming out so far for a newbie lace knitter. This is my first ever shawl. I feel like I'm knitting with fishing line on a broomstick. The yarn is Schaefer Trenna and the colors are fabulous. My concern is the design is lost in the color changes and the only reason they are clear here is that I pinned them to a white pillowcase and used my flash. I hope it turns out ok.
I was sitting on the couch this weekend trying to locate a mistake in my row and I must have look utterly perplexed. My husband teases that I appear to be in deep concentration. He says, "if this is stressing you out that much, maybe lace isn't for you." I may have grumbled "shut your piehole" under my breath or something of that nature. He may have a point, but I will finish this thing.
I also exchanged some leftover skeins for 2 hanks of Koigu KPPM in a lovely shade of orange. Yes, it's sock yarn. I know what some of you might be thinking. The sweater knitter has come to the dark side. Well maybe, you guys have colorful sock yarn cookies. Even a non-sock knitter can't resist the colors.
And the last good bit of excitement is the discovery of a new neighbor, of the feathered rapture variety. Meet Mr. Red-tailed hawk. He likes to hang in my neighbor's tree where there is a dead branch up pretty high. The light was bad so I wasn't able to get as good of a picture and his feathers are ruffled following the rainstorm that came through earlier.
Either way, Mr. Hawk is big! I could see him around the entire block. He's no little hawk. I'll try to get better pictures later in the week.
Time for bed. I can't stay awake now.

3 Comments:

At 6:42 AM, Blogger Bea said...

I think the shawl looks good. If it looks like that in real life then I don't think the color change is an issue. You'll block it really hard so it should be fine. Truthfully, with a circular shawl its sometimes hard to see the design when wearing it anyway (I always assume you half fold it to put it on) so its nice to have some color.

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger Kim said...

The shawl will be awesome. The yarn is gorgeous and the pattern is not hidden. Blocking will solve every worry. I've loved red tailed hawks every since I saw one sitting on the sidewalk in NYC. A huge crowd was standing around and we all thought she/he was hurt. Animal Control was called and as soon as they got there, the hawk flew away. She/he was really big too. You picked some lovely sock yarn. I'm making a scarf out of some Koigu sock yarn.

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger Robin said...

LOL at "10 shades of hell"...I'm going to have to borrow that phrase. I haven't gotten a chance to take a look inside that Inspired to Knit book yet, but it looks like a good one. I renewed my Rowan Magazine membership yesterday, after debating a bit about it - as I agree, Kim Hargreaves was definitely the best designer they had and I have seen a drop off too in the quality since she left. I figured though that I would probably still buy the magazines anyway, so I might as well get the free project even if I end up using the yarn for something else (like I did with Ophelia.) I want to get Nectar as well and still want to make some stuff out of Dark House/Heartfelt.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home