ImageChef Custom Images

'Cause sometimes I even surprise the knit out of myself.

Sunday, August 10, 2008

Ravelympics and Olympics - Day 3 Progress

I have not posted since my Countdown video just to get myself in good standing with this sweater. I had several false starts with casting on and setting up the cables rows for 480 stitches. Yes, you heard right. 4-8-0. Doesn't sound like much fun, huh? Well, it wasn't. I was cursing for awhile and then finally starting cranking things out as the opening ceremonies were about to begin. I had cast on ceremoniously at 8AM EST on Friday, but had to run conference calls and work the rest of the day, so there was no reunion with the project until after dinner that evening.


As of 11 AM this morning, this is where I was. Currently at 4PM, I am at row 36, which I don't think is too shabby especially since I am still dealing with a ton of stitches. I am only 6 rows away from the beginning of the massive decreases so these rows will go faster. The first 14 rows, I clocked myself at 45-50 min on the RS with the cables and 30 minutes for the WS. It seems terribly slow, but we usually don't have to deal with 480 stitches all at once. My goal was to make it to 85% complete on the peplum by Sunday night and I am within my goal at the moment. This part was the most time-consuming and I knew that.





Here is a close-up of the cables, but the color is true in the picture above.
And let me just say WOW about the Opening Ceremonies. I loved Sydney's opening ceremonies, but I will tell you that this was the most mind-blowing, artistic opening ceremonies I've ever seen orchestrated. From the very beginning with the Chinese drummers, my mouth was agape, and attention captivated. In fact, I barely paid attention to the sweater in the first hour of the ceremonies. The artistry was unfathomable. The performers were amazing and performed with a precision I cannot even comprehend.


I did take some photos of the parade of nations. Go Team USA! I also love the sportsmanship. No country was boo'd. Everyone cheered for each country. All these countries being in the sandbox together at once, I could only wish it could be this way outside of the Olympic stadium as well.
Proof that there was some knitting happening here. I got emotional when I saw our flag march in, but that's how I am. I have so much respect for the athletes representing us as a nation.
Did I mention, I liked the Ralph Lauren get up? Although, it did seem warm for 95 degrees at night in Beijing.



Oh and those red gowns that the Chinese ambassadors wore announcing each country were exquisite. I want one.


The fireworks were spectacular. I wish I had time to photoshop the TV monitor sides out of it. Otherwise, it looks like I was there.





A view of where the water sports would occur. I really dig this building alot.
The thing that blew my mind the most was the torch relay. The highest and final honor going to a former Chinese olympic gymnist who was lifted by wires and proceeding to run "in air" around the entire perimeter of the top of the stadium. It was such an emotional site to see. The crowd was insane. It was awe-inspiring.




And there he is at the base of the Olympic torch about to light the wire.
And here it is as the torch touches the wires. In a rush of pyrotechnics, the flames quickly spiral around to light the flame that will burn for the next 17 days.

One World, One Dream







Last night I watched my swimming hero, Michael Phelps win the gold! He was like a rocket in the pool last night. I've been watching him since the Athens Summer Olympics. He is now 1 medal away from breaking all kinds of records and being the most decorated swimmer of all time. Good luck MIKE!

Ok done chatting. Back to knitting. Oh and if you didn't see my Ravelympics video, click http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOhJwx6geVE or simply scroll down to my August 8th post below . Leave me a comment and tell me if you liked it. I had fun making it.

Continued best of luck to Team USA, all of the athletes competing, and, of course, my Raveletes in the Ravelympics.

4 Comments:

At 5:48 PM, Blogger Kristy said...

Wow, 480 stitches! I thought I had it bad :) I hope you get to the decreases soon!

We've been watching all the coverage on the main channel so far. You're right-- that opening ceremony was SPECTACULAR!

 
At 6:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Four hundred eighty stitches is a LOT! You're doing great, though... It's hard to hear through the computer, but we're cheering for you!

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Kim said...

Whoa! 480! I admire your fortitude. Keep knitting! You're kicking butt. Go for the gold!

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger Robin said...

Looks great so far!! Love that turquoise color!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home