ImageChef Custom Images

'Cause sometimes I even surprise the knit out of myself.

Thursday, August 23, 2007

It's....it's....it's ALIVE!!!

Look what's back from the depths of purgatory. It's Rogue by Girl from Auntie, Jenna Wilson in all it's cabley, green goodness.

This photo is showing much brighter of a green than it actually is. It's more of a grassy, olivey green.

Believe me, it's not that I fell out of love with the pattern or the yarn, but gosh it's damn hot to carry around in 90 degree weather. And it's in the round. I had started this back in April while I was traveling a lot for my job. It grew quick and the weather got really muggy pretty quick. Sadly, Rogue was shoved to the side to await the FALL! Hot damn bring on the Fall knits. I hate the summer.

Gosh I forgot how much I loved this yarn. Probably my most expensive sweater to date. I bought 20 skeins of Noro Cash Iroha in Color 100 back when folks were mad over the Hourglass sweater from Last Minute Knitted Gifts. I was lurking through some pictures debating on whether I *really* wanted to do that pattern that bad and saw someone who had knittied theirs in this very color. I was hooked, but not for that particular pattern. I had owned the Rogue pattern for some time now and was just search for that perfect yarn and perfect color.

Nothing is more perfect to me than a sweater that brings me back the fond memories of the lush green grass in Ireland, and the one place that draws me back, Miltown Malbay in County Clare. It speaks to me like home as do the wonderful people that we still continue to exchange cards throughout the year. It was a place of magic and beauty that can never be erased from my mind. *sigh*. I leave for Europe next Friday, but I think another trip to Ireland may be in order.

You fellow bloggers are smart folks so you know what comes next....on to the sappy retrospect....

Cliffs of Moher, County Clare, Ireland


Wendy and I (on the left) with our trusty gnome Verne at the Burrens in Galway


The Pirate Queen preparing to sail from Westport to Clare Island in Clew Bay. The boat is named after my hero, Grace O'Malley, known by her children of Ireland as Granuaile. She was the O'Malley clan leader and her people were one with Clew Bay living off of the fruits of the sea. During the British occupation, the British ships would collect all of the produce and meats that the starving Irish famers had raised and would take them back to England to feed their own. Granuaile was apalled at the state of her people and became the Pirate Queen of Ireland. She would wait until the British ships entered the open waters and would pirate the goods to give back to the starving Irish of County Mayo much like a Robinhood. She was the only person ever daring to DEMAND an audience with the Queen of England. The two powers met and no one knows what was said to this day. One thing known is that Granuaile would not bow to the Queen of England as she stated she "was a Queen in her own right".
Mysteriously, the British would never enter County Mayo ever again.
"She was small but what a site
"The men were wrapped around her finger tight
She was blessed came from the West
She could terrify the strangers with the best
With pale blue eyes and long black hair
The sailors fell in love with this corsair
For her they'd jump for her they'd fight
Her name became a legend overnight
Sail sail Granuaile take me away
Through your rough and troubled waters
To your castle on Clew Bay
Sail sail Granuaile and the fleet was turned away
By the Pirate Queen of Ireland...Ireland
Granuaile!
-"Granuaile" by Blackthorn (Irishthing.com) One of my fave. Irish bands ever
Clew Bay where the Pirate Queen protected her Ireland

Haunting and lovely high crosses on Clare Island as viewed from the Abbey where Granuaile is buried.

"Will you meet me on Clare Island?
Summer stars are in the sky
We'll take the ferry out from Runa
And wave all our cares good-bye
We go dancin' at the ceili
We go kissin on the strand
Take our clothes off in the moonlight
Skinny-dippin hand and hand"
-"Clare Island" by The Saw Doctors (another favorite Irish band)

At home behind the bar with our "Dad for two weeks" Paedar O'Laughlin of O'Laughlin's Pub. Hands down the nicest people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting.
(Ruth, Me, Paedar and Wendy)

Wow, I never realized how dark this pub was inside. I have red hair but you can't even tell.

In front of our home base, O'Laughlin's Bar and Restaurant. Many, many happy memories here and they weren't even Guinness-induced. Umm ok maybe a leetle. But the memories are fond for the experience of hangin' with the locals.

I think it's time to go Home again........Slán go fóill.

4 Comments:

At 2:54 PM, Blogger Zarzuela said...

Nice looking Rogue so far. Gotta love the cable-y goodness. :) Beautiful Ireland pics too. I hope to go someday myself...

Jessica

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger Robin said...

I love the color of Rogue! Great Ireland pic and the poem reminds me of The Mermaids Singing. Did you read that book yet? If not, I highly recommend it.

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger The Kelly Green Rogue said...

love that green! Great Ireland pics, I've never been but would love to go!

 
At 7:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Late entry!
I am sorry to say this, but the green fuzzy gal ia actually named Jane. I will not tell her as I do not think she saw the blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home